Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Bloody Mary Prawn Cocktail

Prawn Cocktail is so retro, in my childhood it was on just about every Menu and must have been the most popular starter in the country. Today it's seen as a bit old hat sadly, I don't know why, the vagaries of fashion I suppose but to my mind prepared well with fresh ingredients its a delicious little treat.

A La Jamie Oliver, I have gone for this perhaps more contemporary version with the flavours and spice of a Bloody Mary and adapted it slightly to my taste, but you could adapt it to yours too.

I use Fresh Prawns and Saute them for a minute or so in Oil and then place them in Iced Water to stop them cooking and refresh them. Pre cooked Prawns are all to often overcooked and a bit rubbery and you don't get that sweet fresh flavour.

Then make the sauce, couldn't be easier, Take 3 or 4 tbsp of Mayonnaise add a large tsp of Cayenne Pepper, 2 tbsp of Tomato Ketchup, a generous drizzle of Tabasco Sauce a shake of Worcestershire Sauce a splash of Brandy and the juice of half a lemon.

Stir the mixture together and add the prawns after you have shelled them and place in the fridge for about an Hour.

To serve shred some Iceberg Lettuce , a handful of Cherry Tomatoes cut into halves and spoon in your mixture. Delicious served with some fresh Brown Bread

1 comment:

  1. You don't know how much I am drooling over this! Looks divine and I imagine tastes even better.

    ReplyDelete