Monday, April 8, 2013

Charred Saddle Cut Lamb Chops with Chilled Tzatziki


I saw this recipe on Nigel Slaters "Simple Cooking" show on Saturday, filled with inspiration I shot down to my butchers to get some Lamb.
The Lamb Chops he had whilst looking fabulous were really tiny, so I went for Saddle cut Lamb Chops, or Barnsley cut chops as they used to be known, cut from the Loin its a double chop and they looked stunning.
There is something very Summery about a sizzling hot Charred Lamb Chop with the refreshing chilled "Tzatziki" style yoghurt and as Spring has finally broken in Andalusia it seemed the perfect Spring dish to celebrate.

Nigel served his dish with a Pickled Red Cabbage, but I thought I would make a simple Pea and Mint Puree some Boulangere Potatoes and Provencal Tomatoes and jolly glad I did the combination was more substantial and absolutely delicious
Start by placing the Chops in a tray and give them a good glug of Olive Oil , scatter on some fresh Thyme leaves a pinch or two of Ground Black Pepper, a Little dried Parsley and the juice of half a Lemon and leave them to marinate for at least an hour.
Meanwhile make the Yoghurt dip, take half a Cucumber, cut it in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds and grate the Cucumber into a bowl add a good pinch of Sea Salt add a handful of fresh chopped Mint add a tub of Greek Yoghurt mix together with a squirt of Lemon Juice and pop it into the fridge to chill. Just before serving drizzle with a Lemon infused virgin Olive Oil
I put my Potatoes and Tomatoes into the oven at 200c for an hour and had a glass of wine!
About ten minutes before the Potatoes are ready to come out the oven get a Griddle pan scorching hot, and griddle your chops about two minutes each side for pink...Let them rest covered in foil and make your Pea and Mint Puree. The meal was a great success I served with some crusty bread and a bottle of Cote de Rhone

No comments:

Post a Comment