Monday, April 29, 2013

Boudin Noir Aux Pommes

As a child I thought there could be nothing more revolting than Black Pudding, the English variety, heavy almost always overcooked with big lumps of white fat, to this day shudder at the offerings of School breakfast black pudding too horrid for words.

It wasn't until I was eight or nine years of age in a Brasserie in Paris that quite by accident I ordered Boudin Noire aux Pommes, I had no idea what it was but thought it sounded good, On its arrival I thought it was a sausage with this rich delicious minced filling and I adored it.
 I am still not fond of the English variety but the French and Spanish version is something quite different a wonderful starter or light Lunch.

Daniel Galmiche in his French Brasserie Cookbook has a version with Pears, but perhaps through childhood memories I prefer the more traditional caramelised Apple.

In a saucepan bring salted water to a simmer, not a boil as the skins are easily burst and gently simmer the sausage for around 4 minutes. Meanwhile in a non stick frying pan bring a dollop of Butter to a medium heat until it is frothing and add slices of Apple, cook gently for 3 minutes until they take on some colour then add a tsp of Sugar and a good glug of Balsamic vinegar and a splash of Water and let it cook down to a light Syrup.
Now add your Sausage to another frying pan with a little Sunflower Oil and cook at a Medium heat again for say 3 minutes and serve. Bon appetite !

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    All the recipes of this post is really new for me. Thanks for sharing this.
    Modular Kitchen Collection

    ReplyDelete