Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Chicken Stock

I have been meaning to write a Post to Stocks for ages, They help to make a truly great dish into something altogether splendid, the difference is huge.
I would love to say that I always make my own stock, truth is in the fast world we live in there never seems to be the time and Bouillon Cubes are so easy, so what's the point?

Bouillon Cubes are a great invention and I use them a lot, adding water from boiled Potatoes or Vegetables to give a slightly more natural flavour, but they really do pale in comparison to making a proper Stock. They are full of additives, very salty and a poor imitation of the real thing.

Whenever I make a Sunday Roast of Chicken or Beef, I nearly always go to the trouble of making a fresh stock on Monday so that I can enjoy in the week, all those dishes that so depend on a quality stock like Risottos, Cannellini Beans, delicious Soups and in Sauces.

It freezes well, but I tend to use it all in a few days.

It is one thing you really do need to produce some stunning dishes, it is worth the effort and I urge you to try it.

Making Stock couldn't be simpler, For a Chicken Stock take a Chicken Carcass, fresh is best but the leftover Roast Chicken is Fine put it in a Stock pot along with some peppercorns a carrot, Celery Stick a Leek cut in Half, An Onion and some Fresh herbs whatever you happen to have. Add water so the Carcass is covered, bring to the Boil then reduce the heat to a very low simmer skimming off any impurities. It must be a low simmer, if it Boils it will go cloudy.

I usually simmer for around 5 hours then strain the stock through a fine sieve and let it cool then place in the fridge.

The fat will have formed on the surface so it is easy to take off, Bring to boil before using.



1 comment:

  1. Hello Johnny

    I couldn't agree more that homemade stock is better than cubes or shop bought. It lifts your cooking up a notch!

    If desperate I don't use cubes any more - as you say too salty. I now use the bottles of Knorr touch of taste stock solution and water down. Not bad, but not as good as homemade.

    I like your idea of using the veggie cooking water to make up shop-bought stock. Wished I'd thought of it myself!

    Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete