Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fegato alla Toscana

I have always been a big fan of Offal, Kidneys, Hearts and Liver all very under rated in my view and much more popular in Europe than in England.

Calves Liver is one of my favourites, banish memories of School Dinners from your mind, that was ghastly overcooked pigs Liver tough and very strong in taste. Calves Liver is altogether a different kettle of fish it is Fillet Steak as opposed to stewing steak, The flavour is far lighter it has a delicious richness and is so tender and soft.
I got some beautiful thin strips of Liver, my butcher had done a great job in ensuring it was properly trimmed. With great ingredients the simpler they are cooked the better in my view. I simply seasoned and seared on both sides not much more than 30 seconds either side maybe a little more Calves Liver should always be served Pink. In a skillet I fried in Oliver Oil some Sage Leaves squeezed in some Lemon Juice and a drop of Balsamic Vinegar and spooned a few drops over the Liver outstanding little dish cooked in minutes a real weekday treat.


1 comment: