Monday, October 22, 2012

French Lemon & Thyme Roast Chicken

I first had this dish many years ago in a little Restaurant in Provence but this was the first time I have made it for Friends at Home, It was Gloriously easy and a delicious Sunday Lunch It made too.

The Summer Scent of Lemon and Thyme filled the Kitchen, Whilst I chatted with friends drinking  Red Wine, We were all starving by the time our late Lunch was served, and it didn't disappoint. I will be making this more often.

I slow Roasted it, which I always do with Roasting Chickens, makes them infinitely more juicy. Start by washing out the cavity and dry with Kitchen Paper.
After a generous sprinkling of Salt into the cavity I Cut a Lemon into quarters and placed it in the cavity with 4 cloves of Garlic and a bunch of Fresh Thyme and a Bay Leaf

Then I made a Thyme Butter to stuff under the skin, to keep the bird moist.

In a bowl a put a drizzle of Olive Oil , the juice of a large Lemon a drop of Light Soy Sauce and a generous helping of Honey and mix them together, The fragrant bitterness of the Lemon is balanced with the sweetness of the Honey. With a sprig of Thyme as a brush, brush the marinade all over the bird reserving about a third of the mixture.
Put the Bird in a Roasting tin add a Glass of White Wine to the Tin and about half a pint of Chicken stock and place in a pre heated Oven at 90c for an hour and a half. then let it rest for 45 minutes turn the heat up to 210c brush on the remaining marinade Season with Salt and Pepper and return the Bird for a further 20 minutes.

The skin caramelises with the Honey and looks just sensational, rest the Bird for a further 15 minutes before serving.

I sieved the juices from the Roasting tin into a pan Whisked in some butter and served as a delicious Gravy, Try it, it really is very Good.


1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! You should post some of your stuff on FlauntMyFood.com

    A friend told me about it and that's where I go to check out cool foods. I guess food bloggers post there, its pretty sweet. Anywho, love your site!

    ReplyDelete