Sunday, September 16, 2012

Poulet Au Pot

Poulet Au Pot Henry 1V famous dish for every Frenchman to be able to afford to eat on a Sunday. In mainland France it is still as popular on a Sunday as Bouillabaisse is in Marseille.

What a dish, a one pot wonder bags of flavour and so simple. I have been eating this for years from my happy days living in France so many moons ago when I couldn't cook.

Start by peeling Button Onions and Carrots which I do in two batches , whole Carrots and chopped Carrots. Peel some Potato and cut into various shapes
I put the Carrots and Potatoes in a pot with cold water only to keep their colour. Now make a Bouquet Garni with Fresh Thyme, a sprig of Rosemary some Parsley Stalks and Bay leaves. Tie with string and make 500mls of Chicken stock.
Chop diagonally some fresh Leeks and reserve for later. Now place your Chicken in the Casserole Pot with hot Olive Oil and Brown each side, it's not really traditional but I like it, then reserve on one side add your Button Onions and the large Carrots and Brown.

After maybe five minutes add 280mls of White Wine, let it reduce and pour a glass for yourself, I always have a drink whilst I cook! Then add the Chicken stock add the Large Carrots and Onions and Bring to the boil adding the Bouquet Garni. Obviously return the Chicken to the pot

Once its brought to the Boil add to a pre heated Oven with a little foil to cover the Breast a couple of Black Peppercorns and an extra Bay Leaf, cook at 200c
Traditionally you stuff the cavity with breadcrumbs beaten Egg and Parsley to make a sort of Dumpling, tell you the truth it's fairly horrid so I miss it out.

Keep basting ever so often, after 30 minutes take off the foil and add the chopped Carrots and Leeks and return to the Oven for another 30 minutes.
Let it rest and serve on a plate with the Vegetables I serve the stock in a bowl and sprinkle with chopped Parsley and Serve with Crunchy bread. In France the stock is served as a Soup, and jolly good it is too, On this occasion I didn't
Is it as good as Roast Beef... well No, not to my mind but once in a while this Old healthy dish is a stunner especially washed down as I did with a few bottles of Corton Charlemagne Montrachet served Ice Cold. Lovely Lunch I thoroughly recommend you try it at least once in a while you won't be disappointed

No comments:

Post a Comment